Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: comment - Hodges model in Learning Disability

Hodges' model is a conceptual framework to support reflection and critical thinking. Situated, the model can help integrate all disciplines (academic and professional). Amid news items, are posts that illustrate the scope and application of the model. A bibliography and A4 template are provided in the sidebar. Welcome to the QUAD ...

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

comment - Hodges model in Learning Disability

Denise M posted a comment [Wednesday, December 27, 2006] which I've repeated below with a reply:

"I an currently writing up my literature review for a MSc and is using a combination of Brian's HCM and Maslow's hierarchy of needs model as conceptual framework to structure the needs of people with profound learning disabilities and multi-sensory impairment (PLD and MSI). I am ever so grateful for the numerous resources on the HCM. Like yourself, I was first introduced to the model when I was doing the ENB 806 in 1986. I have used the model in my career as community LD nurse and nurse tutor and has found it useful in assessing people with LD and in teaching as a framework for discussing aspects of care. I normally reference the chapter in Hincliffe's book. I would be happy to discuss what I am doing and when I have completed the writing up, to evaluate the effectiveness of the HCM as a conceptual framework, in combination with another theory."

Denise M
--------
Hello Denise - Happy New Year!

Your comment is very timely at the start of a year that I hope will see increased interest in Hodges' model and other 'global' approaches. Learning Disability is a key care group, one in which Brian Hodges also trained, practised and taught. I am very interested in discussing your work. At a recent NW (England) RCN Older People Nursing Network meeting a speaker highlighted the unique problems and solutions for this client group, in terms of the possible development of dementia, parents getting much older and subsequent care.

To contact me you will find an e-mail address (see biog page for tel:no.) on the main website.

With the Serres-Hodges paper now submitted, I can think about the future of the website and explore the possibility of using a proper Content Management System. (Recommendations most welcome.) So if you or anyone else have any possible material on your work please get in touch. It pleases me no end to hear that the existing references / resources on the site are a help. If I'm honest though, while much of the current content does need to be accessible, some should be 'archived' to make way for contributions that are practice / research based.

Since starting this blog things do seem a bit more dynamic. It is practitioners, students and tutors like you Denise, and the efforts of others such as Claire, Rachael and Shannon who can shape the future of Hodges' model. For Hodges' model to really arrive I would very much like to add the public (patients and carers) and the global health community into the mix. Hodges' model is something that can by its nature engage and involve everyone. The Learning Disability community MUST be included, within day-to-day service provision of course this group can slip through the net.

Your next step about evaluation sounds quite challenging, but fascinating in terms of what methods you may employ and the results that might be revealed. I and many other people would I'm sure be very keen to learn more. If I can assist in some way - just let me know, happy to comment on your text if you wish...

Thanks for your interest and to the others who have picked up the flag. It makes the effort at this end really worthwhile...
Good luck and I look f/w to an e-mail or chat with you soon.
Peter