Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: HTML -> XHTML & accessibility in my hands

Hodges' model is a conceptual framework to support reflection and critical thinking. Situated, the model can help integrate all disciplines (academic and professional). Amid news items, are posts that illustrate the scope and application of the model. A bibliography and A4 template are provided in the sidebar. Welcome to the QUAD ...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

HTML -> XHTML & accessibility in my hands

My copy of Jeremy Keith's "DOM Scripting: Web Design with JavaScript and the Document Object Model” was published in 2005. Sat on the shelf for a year or so (don't let the library list fool you), finally reading it cover2cover.

I've developed bad habits over the past year or so, especially when updating the four links pages (no small task). Sometimes I'm using upper case HTML tags, on other occasions lower case. For HTML that's no problem, but Keith advises that if you have the future of the web in mind XHTML insists that all tags must be closed and tags plus attributes must be typed in lower case (p.149).

So, the revisions for the Drupal site and on the 'old' site will be XHTML compliant from now on; that's a lot of tags to change.

Keith's brilliant book also describes step-by-step Javascript functions, e.g., to list abbreviations and (as I mentioned recently) making use of ID and CLASS. The potential of using the DOM to create content is going to have me day dreaming (but not while I'm driving).

Keith has woke me up regards my accessibility requirement too. I knew I was missing something! Here I am wondering about what Drupal modules can do for me, but where have I been? I hadn't come across 'accesskey' before (p.171). Well no time like the present! Just what I (and future visitors!) need. My apologies to visitors in need of keyboard links, these will be provided in future.