Models abound of course (not only on catwalks where other career choices are displayed), but in nurse education and the sciences. The review of Curriculum Development In Nursing Education reminded me of Boyer's model of scholarship. I have maintained a link to this for many years, the book review prompted me to read more. Boyer is a gift for this scholar of Hodges' model and any others, a gift not just in that off-the-shelf sense, but in a constructive advisory sense.
The table below highlights Boyer's types of scholarship, purposes and measures of performance. The focus of Boyer's model is the quality of professorial activities, in the same way highly skilled and experiences nurses can be removed from the front-line, so to can specialist faculty be distanced from teaching.
|Type of Scholarship||Purpose||Measures of Performance|
|Discovery||Build new knowledge through traditional research.||• Publishing in peer-reviewed forums.|
• Producing and/or performing creative work within established field.
• Creating infrastructure for future studies.
|Integration||Interpret the use of knowledge across disciplines.||• Preparing a comprehensive literature review|
• Writing a textbook for use in multiple disciplines.
• Collaborating with colleagues to design and deliver a core course.
|Application||Aid society and professions in addressing problems.||• Serving industry or government as an external consultant.|
• Assuming leadership roles in professional organizations.
• Advising student leaders, thereby fostering their professional growth.
|Teaching||Study teaching models and practices to achieve optimal learning.||• Advancing learning theory through classroom research.|
• Developing and testing instructional materials
• Mentoring graduate students.
• Designing and implementing a program level assessment system.
What I will try to do here is briefly suggest how Boyer can inform consideration of scholarship in Hodges' model and a future website. This is not just a one-way dialogue I believe Hodges' model can also inform Boyer's model. For example according to Nibert, Boyer proposes using 'creativity contracts'. The creative utility of Hodges' model is surely demonstrated in the posts and archive on W2tQ spanning nursing, education and health care? Since the publication of Boyer's paper in 1997 it could be argued there are new forms of scholarship that cast light and shadows on traditional academia and forms of research. More specifically though we can take Boyer's measures of performance and apply them in turn to h2cm. Even though the purposes differ (I am neither quality faculty nor professor) the reflection is helpful:
Publishing in peer-reviewed forums.
- There is a limited bibliography listed here on W2tQ and on the main website.
- The bibliography and website constitute a mixture of formal and rather ad-hoc creative works in nursing. Much more needs to be done.
- As noted in the book review I am fascinated by this word infrastructure. I recognise the need for a 21st century home for Hodges' model; the limitations of a static website and the need to benefit from the stimulus and energy that a community of users would provide. Drupal is the future a means to provide an infrastructure out of which a community may grow and inform.
Preparing a comprehensive literature review.
- Hodges' model deserves a comprehensive literature review, one that spans education, nursing, global health, informatics and cognitive science.
- 'Book' is an established content type within Drupal and this is a worthy objective, as Hodges' model is the ideal academic Swiss Army knife.
- This is so dependent upon infrastructure and it seems my actively engaging with academics in curricula design and course planning. Drupal is being adopted in education so the scope to engage from an external position is a possibility.
Serving industry or government as an external consultant.
- Is professorship a pre-requisite for consultancy work? No. Do we just leave this to the professors? No.
- Being in the North West of England, a full-time nurse and with many meetings down South this is a barrier to adopting such roles. For the future should there be any opportunities these must be tried - only that way can they be tested.
- As a mentor in clinical practice with the chance to develop local educational links there is scope here; and possibly others?
Advancing learning theory through classroom research.
- As noted above it would be marvellous to be presented with the task of producing lesson plans to encourage research into Hodges' model.
- As far as the classroom is concerned this is very much a bullet point for the future. Using Drupal however a future site can incorporate some instructional materials.
- Ongoing, but would like to engage more in this - and whilst h2cm is on my agenda I do understand models represent a small part of student learning.
- Another point for a future departure; how do you demonstrate competency in Hodges' model? There are means of assessment, which were applied in the 1980's, case studies, essays and discussion. ...
Instructional Design Review (ID Review) checklist at Schema Performs