An opportunity to share innovations and experiences in the field of clinical informatics that can make a real difference to patient care.
25th March 2010 - Waterside, Watershed, Bristol
A collaboration between:
UK Faculty of Health Informatics and Bristol Royal Children’s Hospital -
(the latter - part of Bristol University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
We would like to invite you to participate in an innovative new meeting which aims to bring together clinicians and social care staff from various backgrounds, who are involved with real world informatics solutions.
Many of the themes that we will be covering at our first market place are focusing on sharing informatics solutions that have already made and can make huge differences to patient safety and the overall quality of care.
The 6 main areas that we plan to cover on 25th March we hope are of huge interest, potential and at times frustration for NHS and Social Care staff, patients and carers. These are:
1. E-prescribing with decision support in secondary care
2. Clinical incident reporting systems and clinical audit tools
3. The development and use of community based information systems spanning across mental health, long term conditions and social care
4. Telecare and the use of teleconferencing in patient care
5. Clinical portals, patient portals and the use of clinical dashboards
6. Medical simulation and its use in clinical learning and development
The features of the proposed market place are very distinct from existing conferences and trade exhibitions in that it will be:
- Clinically focused – the issues that we are trying to find solutions to and share lessons learned from are led from a clinical viewpoint rather than a technical or sales perspective. There will be suppliers present but they will all have been invited along by Health or Social Care service provider.
- Focused on real experience of what already works – too often NHS staff have felt frustrated by suppliers promoting technical developments that haven’t actually yet been deployed in UK health and care settings. This market place is designed to share what has already been tried and tested in different parts of the NHS and Social Care from across the UK from a clinical/service perspective.
- Free of charge – the event is funded by the UK Faculty of Health Informatics and has been organised in partnership with Clinicians from Bristol Royal Children’s Hospital and academics from the University of the West of England. The personal details used when registering will not be shared with any other suppliers i.e. no follow-up sales calls or invitations to demonstrations
- Provide access to established Communities of Practice – if you want to progress ideas or issues more you will be able to sign up for free membership of an on-line community based on the Department of Health’s Informatics Directorate’s eSpace platform as well as other groups in order to keep in touch with other people that you have met on the day.
Although the market place will be open all day from 9.30am until 5pm, unless you are a presenter or exhibitor you only need to attend when you wish to or are free to.
Short presentations on each of the 6 main themes will take place throughout the day from 10am until 4pm in a separate auditorium adjacent to the market place. You can attend as many of these interactive presentations as you wish.
We will have a limited number (around 16) stands for participants and their associated suppliers to demonstrate their solutions
The event is designed for staff working in Medical, Nursing, Pharmacy, AHP, Social Care, Informatics, Senior Management, Communications or Education and Training roles.
Support for back-fill and travel costs will be available to NHS and Social Care staff who exhibit a solution and/or share their experiences at one of the plenary sessions.
Organisation and next steps:
The event has been organised by 5 members of the UK Faculty of Health Informatics, including:
Bruce Elliott – Co-ordinator of the UK Faculty of HI/ Programme Manager – DH Informatics Policy & Planning, Tel: 0778 6705 955 bruceelliott at nhs.net
If you would like to share your experiences at the event please contact leon.rushworth at nhs.net by Friday 29th January 2010.
You can book your place at the event by registering at:
We hope that it is of real interest to you.
The UK Faculty of Health Informatics purpose is:
To stimulate the uptake and application of Informatics research and development within UK Health and Social Care services in order to improve the quality of care for all.
This is done through providing opportunities for anyone with a passion for applying their Informatics knowledge and experience in practice to participate in:
- an engaging on-line discussion forum
- vibrant face to face events and meetings
- writing relevant and stimulating reports and papers
- sharing their own research findings
To apply for membership go to: