The perennial health news item that is alcohol has bubbled and overflowed this week. In 1987-88 I visited several nearby alcohol services in Blackburn, Preston and Salford with a questionnaire to compare and contrast with Chorley which at the time had no dedicated alcohol services. There was Alcoholics Anonymous AA and Al-Anon, but nothing specific through health beyond community psychiatric nurses. The project was for the CPN(Cert.).
Don't get me wrong: I like an occasional drink but my enjoyment of alcohol has been tempered over the years by several experiences:
- An early party aged 15 (and at a church social club) preloading was already in vogue. No sooner were a group of us sat at a table than someone threw up on the table. It was alcohol.
- Biology and human biology lessons helped instil the impacts of alcohol.
- Having to say 'goodbye' to clients with a drink problem, duly referred by their GP. I cannot support them in their drinking after several attempts to effect change.
- Appreciating the link between drink and risk behaviours.
- Working with people whose 'ill-health career' has seen them having to live with, but not themselves recognise Korsakoff's syndrome.
- Seeing people over three decades who cannot be supported in the community with their family, relatively young for residential care, but given a lack of specialised facilities - there they frequently are.
Minimum alcohol price planned for England and Wales
Alcohol pricing: politics under the influence
With the prospect of an alcohol and a new NHS information strategy in England you hope that some dots can be joined. Here are a few:
Motivation Psychological effectsPersonality Education Vulnerability
Attitudes to risk Predisposition
|Data Evidence Public health|
Physical effects Dual diagnosis
Research Violence - statistics
|Social contradictons and attitudes - 'image'|
Upbringing Cultural attitudes
Cost per unit Services Funding
Cost to health budget Reporting
Policy Lobbying Taxes Commissioning
Beer label c/o http://www.beerlabelizer.com/
'Real Stout' = 'Sale Tutor'