Dear HIFA colleagues,
Today 6 February is the "International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation".
You can read more here:
- Over 140 million girls and women alive today have undergone some form of FGM.
- If current trends continue, about 86 million additional girls worldwide will be subjected to the practice by 2030.
- FGM is mostly carried out on young girls sometime between infancy and age 15.
- FGM cause severe bleeding and health issues including cysts, infections, infertility as well as complications in childbirth increased risk of newborn deaths.
- FGM is a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
Best wishes, Neil
Let's build a future where people are no longer dying for lack of healthcare knowledge - Join HIFA: www.hifa2015.org