22-23 October 2015 - Almere, The Netherlands
2nd Call for contributions
The application of social robots in therapy and education is an emerging field as these 'new friends' become more sophisticated, available and affordable. In recent years there has been an enormous increase of projects in which they are used successfully for groups with special needs, like people with dementia, hospitalized children and children with autism. This increases the demand for expertise from a wide range of disciplines, like psychology, nursing, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, AI, robotics and education to meet the technical opportunities with the development of therapeutic and educational practice.
To make this happen, the international and multidisciplinary conference New Friends 2015 brings together researchers, professionals, students from different disciplines of health, social welfare and education and developers in the fields of AI social robotics, ICT and business.
The event features keynotes, oral and poster presentations, product and business demonstrations, competitions and practice oriented workshops, covering:
- practitioners’ perspective of end users’ needs,
- good examples of trials, practice and intervention guidelines, interdisciplinary collaboration,
- technical innovations in robotics,
- related therapeutic or educational developments,
- theoretical studies and empirical research, including related HRI issues,
- related legal, ethical, philosophical and social issues.
We invite researchers, practitioners and students from different fields to contribute to this conference with:
- Extended abstracts, sized two pages. Authors of accepted abstracts will present their work in oral or poster sessions. Moreover, they will be invited to submit full papers to be considered for publishing in a special issue of the International Journal of Social Robotics.
- Video’s, two to five minutes length, accompanied by an abstract of one page.
- Workshop proposals, for one to three hour workshops, aimed at professionals or students and researchers in applied research in this field.
- Demonstrations, proposed in a one page abstract.
All submissions will be reviewed using a single-blind review process: authors declare their names and affiliations in the manuscript for the reviewers to see, but reviewers do not know each other's identities, nor do the authors receive information about who has reviewed their manuscript.
For more details, including templates and submission guidelines, please visit www.newfriends2015.org
- Proposals for workshops: May 20, 2015
- Notification of acceptance for workshops: June1, 2015
- Abstract and video submission: June 1, 2015
- Notification of acceptance for video’s: June 15, 2015
- Notification of acceptance for abstracts: June 18, 2015
- Final submission: September 1, 2015
Windesheim Flevoland University for Applied Sciences
Hospitaaldreef 5 │1315 RC Almere │The Netherlands
e-mail m.heerink AT windesheimflevoland.nl │phone + 31 6 429 17 442
Secretary: Brigitte Toes │phone +31 88 46 99 582 │e-mail b.toes AT windesheimflevoland.nl
CARING-TEC-RESEARCH-REQUEST AT jiscmail.ac.uk
To join or leave the Caring Technology Research Announcement List, go to