Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: Book: Visualising Powerful Knowledge to Develop the Expert Student

Hodges' model is a conceptual framework to support reflection and critical thinking. Situated, the model can help integrate all disciplines (academic and professional). Amid news items, are posts that illustrate the scope and application of the model. A bibliography and A4 template are provided in the sidebar. Welcome to the QUAD ...

Monday, November 11, 2019

Book: Visualising Powerful Knowledge to Develop the Expert Student

A Knowledge Structures Perspective on Teaching and Learning at University

Following Professor Friel's book on Climate Change and the People's Health, I've another to review with just 33 pages left to read.

Another short book at 134 pages it has been read by-and-large whilst in casualty (3 times in 6 days), waiting and shifting between ambulance triage, X-Ray, Zones 1-3 to being warded, or not (warded now); with a family member. This probably accounts for the fact that while reading I've noticed some word errors, but not pencilled the margin. I think there are 3-4 thus far. (Usually) Proof-reader-Pete, I'll watch and record any others. This is not a major problem from a gift of book, that was brought to my attention on the Threshold Concepts Discussion list. Blogging over the years, I've probably referred to many 'gifts' granted through academia, books, journals and study in ideas and influences that can further Hodges' model. Here is another and as the book covers below reveal - what is the first book in a trilogy.

Constructionism clearly has a role to play in studying Hodges' model. Professor Kinchin from the outset prompts me to see limitations. Limitations not in Hodges' model, far from it; but the limitation and challenge of time to really focus on the model and where, how and why it 'fits' and 'sits' within theory, practice, discourse and research. I am sure it does in a way beyond the rendering of 2x2 tables on W2tQ. I've been aware of CMap and other software for many years - decades even. As my source indicates, threshold concepts figure here. I look forward to writing this review in the next few weeks, including ramifications for my study of Hodges' model and the impact upon future teaching I might pursue as a tutor.


https://profkinchinblog.wordpress.com/tag/pedagogic-frailty/


Kinchin, I., 2016. Visualising powerful knowledge to develop the expert student. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.

See also:

Review One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Thanks to Brill for my review copy.