Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: Drupal update and Drupalcon August Szeged

Hodges' model is a conceptual framework to support reflection and critical thinking. Situated, the model can help integrate all disciplines (academic and professional). Amid news items, are posts that illustrate the scope and application of the model. A bibliography and A4 template are provided in the sidebar. Welcome to the QUAD ...

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Drupal update and Drupalcon August Szeged

A piece of paper and a pencil. That's a great place to start. ...

I haven't said much about the 'new' website recently. Perhaps that is because I don't want Drupal CMS to look like it is somehow lacking. On the contrary Drupal is still exactly where the sweet spot can be found. It's possible to create a website very quickly using Drupal, the delay lies entirely with me and my penchant for learning by distraction and doing so on a part-time basis.

So in terms of news where are things up to? Well, I've explored Drupal 4.7, 5 and now 6.2. This constant need to update/upgrade or not is a challenge in itself. Drupal 6 is still lacking some key bits and pieces, but as a virginal Drupe I can afford to look to Drupal 6 and even anticipate version 7.

Regular readers here know I've ported over some of the static pages from the 'old' site:

  • Brian's original notes I & II
  • My initial introduction to Hodges' model and the site
On the old site I never got to grips with CSS (style sheets) so part of the problem at present is that I'm playing catch-up. In addition Drupal provides some core themes that give your web site a particular look and feel straight out of the box so to speak. There are many other themes to choose from; once Drupal is installed just simply download and enable. You can also roll your own. The same applies to modules which as the name suggests are a means to extend and enhance Drupal's functionality. As mentioned ages ago I fell in love with the Denver theme, but this isn't available for version 6 as yet. Trying Salamander I have arrived at Framework which is one of a group of base themes suited for use as a foundation for theme development.

So I'm learning Drupal and CSS with the addition of jQuery - a javascript library. The static pages have a forum (just two questions), several users and a book outline for company and are styled using drop capitals on the opening section paragraphs, discrete striping for tables and a specific treatment for quotations. Reading the Pro Drupal book on the form API and creating an example, I'd actually been wondering how to put two forms side x side. Reading a CSS book it suggested that if possible reduce the number of DIVs used on a web page. What to do...? Reading the Pro Drupal themes chapter (again) I realised what an idiot I am. It is that simple: use DIVs and float them this way or that. So I must give this try and the Content Construction Kit, Views, Panels and the more generic Drupal property of regions.

I'm still really itching to get back to Ruby & Rails and the benefits of immersing yourself in something like Scotland on Rails are quite obvious.

So I'm going to see if - funds permitting - I can get to Drupalcon 2008 in Szeged this August. There may be a group of us from Manchester heading that way. Any sponsors welcome and much appreciated!