Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: That other 2nd-hand book - 'Conceptual Spaces'

Hodges' model is a conceptual framework to support reflection and critical thinking. Situated, the model can help integrate all disciplines (academic and professional). Amid news items, are posts that illustrate the scope and application of the model. A bibliography and A4 template are provided in the sidebar. Welcome to the QUAD ...

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

That other 2nd-hand book - 'Conceptual Spaces'

Conceptual Spaces, Gardenfors, Book coverIn February I posted about a day in Sedbergh the book town with marvellous weather for the time of year.

In addition to the The Big Book of Concepts book, I bought a copy of Peter Gärdenfors' Conceptual Spaces. Oh, to be able to take a measured and systematic approach to this....!

I'm only just up to chapter 3 and it's a fascinating book. The ideas make this a key reference for anyone studying Hodges' model (and much more besides).

The preface sums up much about some of the problems researching* Hodges' model:

"... I will satisfy no one. Philosophers will complain that my arguments are weak; psychologists will point to a wealth of evidence about concept formation that I have not accounted for; linguists will indict me for glossing over the intricacies of language in my analysis of semantics; and computer scientists will ridicule me for not developing algorithms for the various processes that I describe."
The subtitle - The Geometry of Thought - says it all. There are so many key concepts here. I'm looking forward to chasing the references cited and other works. I don't vandalise books usually, but hey it's summer almost and the highlighter is doing its thing. The questions run thick and fast....
  • Is Hodges' model one conceptual space or four...?
  • What quality dimensions can I identify?
  • What quality dimensions could a h2cm community identify?
  • What existing multidimensional scaling work exists in health and social care?
  • ....?
More to follow...

*or at least trying to research...