CfP IEEE IC Special Issue: Web Technology and Architecture for Personal Health Records (July/August 2011)
IEEE Internet Computing: special issue planned for 2011
Chimezie Thomas-Ogbuji [cut at case.edu], Karthik Gomadam [karthik at knoesis.org], and Charles Petrie [petrie at stanford.edu]
Final submissions due 1 November 2010
Please email the guest editors a brief description of the article you plan to submit by 15 October 2010.
The healthcare industry is well positioned to take advantage of contemporary Web-based architecture to address the technological challenges of personal health record (PHR) systems, many of which require simultaneous advances in engineering, informatics, and network-based applications. Of particular interest are the PHR systems that capture healthcare data entered by individuals.
This special issue seeks original articles describing development, relevant trends, and challenges in incorporating contemporary Web-based technology for the primary functions of PHR systems. The main functional categories of interest are information collection, sharing, exchange, and management.
Appropriate topics of interest include:
- Web-based, structured data collection in PHR systems;
- implementations of access-control policies and healthcare data sharing;
- distributed, identity-based authentication methods;
- digital signature and encryption techniques;
- Web portal architecture’s general components and capabilities as the basis for a PHR system;
- architectural paradigms regarding connectivity to other healthcare information producers and consumers;
- data models for PHR systems;
- distributed data subscription and publishing protocols;
- successful Web-based applications for chronic disease and medication management;
- health applications for PHR systems on mobile devices;
- privacy and security issues;
- HIPAA and its implications for adopting cloud computing for PHR applications; and
- semantics for PHR interoperability and applications
All submissions must be original manuscripts of fewer than 5,000 words, focused on Internet technologies and implementations. All manuscripts are subject to peer review on both technical merit and relevance to IC’s international readership — primarily system and software design engineers. We do not accept white papers, and we discourage strictly theoretical or mathematical papers.
To submit a manuscript, please log on to Manuscript Central (https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/cs-ieee) to create or access an account, which you can use to log on to IC‘s Author Center and upload your submission.