Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: Additional citation: IRMS Bulletin - November 2022

Hodges' model is a conceptual framework to support reflection and critical thinking. Situated, the model can help integrate all disciplines (academic and professional). Amid news items, are posts that illustrate the scope and application of the model. A bibliography and A4 template are provided in the sidebar. Welcome to the QUAD ...

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Additional citation: IRMS Bulletin - November 2022

 Last May I presented Hodges' model at the IRMS Conference in Glasgow.

When I walked in to set up I had the room to myself. I was able to attend on the final day, that of my talk - travelling and staying at my own expense.

The concurrent - streamed format for the conference means you are competing for hearts, minds and existing conceptual frameworks, how well they are populated, what are the 'gaps' and delegate's curiosity and desire for lifelong learning. Next year's event is in Manchester, I'd encourage you to submit, attend if you can.

Five minutes before the start of my session, I counted 8-10 people. The Chair had arrived and suggested we wait a bit longer. 4-5 minutes later I was really pleased - all the seats were occupied and people still arrived by the door. Altogether there were over 30 people.

I'm probably better 1-1 - perhaps that's the 'nurse inside', but the session went well, as the Chair acknowledged and some questions afterwards.

At the end, I was also approached by Jonathan Fryer, in response to a slide showing how Hodges' model can conceptually encompass the various forms of literacy and schools and informatics (posted previously on W2tQ).

Jon immediately saw the relevance of the model, as at The British Library (Head of Corporate Information Management Corporate Information Management Unit) he was currently thinking about literacy.

IRMS Bulletin is a member-based publication, so not open access. I'm grateful that Hodges' model has some exposure and that Mr Fryer found it helpful:

"Information Literacies - Learning, to thrive in a digital age"

IRMS bulletin 230

"I am indebted to Peter Jones, who shared Hodges’ Health Career Model1 with the 2022 IRMS conference in Glasgow. Although originally used in a healthcare setting, this simple, two-axis intellectual model can be readily used to analyse any complex interaction between the individual and their environment – in this case, information literacies.

The diagram2 shows a number of distinct yet overlapping literacies that were potentially in play in our problem example, although there are likely to be many more – even emotional literacy played a part, with the frustrations of the young people in question causing them to dismiss potential solutions before they had been tried or even considered. Likewise, socio-political and socio-economic literacies may have been a factor – if you are unaware that something exists in the world due to blind-spots in your own cultural background then you cannot even begin to look for it."



Jon Fryer, "Information Literacies - Learning, to thrive in a digital age". IRMS Bulletin, Issue 230, November 2022.

[ I will add a detailed citation when obtained and add to the blog's bibliography. Apparently some details referring to Hodges' model were omitted from the published article, I understand IRMS editors are addressing this is a future issue. ]


See also:
https://hodges-model.blogspot.com/search?q=blind-spot

I am planning a submission to the bulletin myself in 2023.