Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: 'cogeographic' or 'cogneographic' - concepts situated and abstract

Hodges' model is a conceptual framework to support reflection and critical thinking. Situated, the model can help integrate all disciplines (academic and professional). Amid news items, are posts that illustrate the scope and application of the model. A bibliography and A4 template are provided in the sidebar. Welcome to the QUAD ...

Friday, July 10, 2009

'cogeographic' or 'cogneographic' - concepts situated and abstract

The term 'cogeographic' materialised while writing a short article for the nursing press on Hodges' model.

Searching SCIENCE DIRECT and similar academic resources I thought I had found the word relating to geography, borders, ethnic groups and geopolitics, but now it seems to have disappeared....?

So I am not 100% sure whether cogeographic is a neologism. In some ways cogneographic better suits my purpose. That Matrix associated addition is a rather bizarre coincidence given the word's status and so with that I should explain how my lexical arrival here came about. ...

I was focusing on two fundamental claims in Hodges' model. Namely:

  • The model is situated;
  • The model assumes that concepts can be located within its knowledge domains.
For me, cogeographic (cogneographic) conjoins the cognitive (cognition) involved in defining, representing and using concepts in conceptual spaces; AND the finding that knowledge is invariably situated - that is knowledge has a geography.

Philo and Pickstone (2009) highlight the work of Haraway:
No knowledge, however ‘scientific’ or prestigious, can ever truly come from nowhere; it can not but originate somewhere, being thoroughly situated, in Donna Haraway’s (1991) valuable terminology; and it commonly bears marks of that origin - situation wherever it might then travel. p.651.
This combination of physical and mental (abstract) location then supports the use of a metric or measure. I suppose what I am thinking about is GIS for concepts - which in turn is the semantic web?

Should I locate any sources I will update this post, or if you can direct me to any please let me know: h2cmng at yahoo.co.uk

Reference:

Philo, C., Pickstone, J. (2009). Unpromising configurations: Towards local historical geographies of psychiatry, Health & Place, 15, 3, 649-656.