Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: Drupal, the website, comments and Apple

Hodges' model is a conceptual framework to support reflection and critical thinking. Situated, the model can help integrate all disciplines (academic and professional). Amid news items, are posts that illustrate the scope and application of the model. A bibliography and A4 template are provided in the sidebar. Welcome to the QUAD ...

Monday, September 03, 2007

Drupal, the website, comments and Apple

Whenever I've trained people on some IT application or other I always stress the obvious....

Make sure you log-in, or use 'x' regularly otherwise you know what they say...

If you don't use it - you lose it...

I should learn to take my own medicine, so with Drupal and Ruby I need to immerse myself and roll around a bit at least every-other-day , if some of this is going to stick. It needs to stick because I sure don't want to touch the existing content in terms of layout, styles ... (this time of year up North in Lancashire it's getting too scary).

In April on holiday in Crete I read through (a good beginners guide) David Mercer's Drupal book; well it's open again. The necessary software is in place, the only thing that troubles me are the themes and the existing home page plus getting to grips with the various WAMP components. Vital administration aside, can I create an original homepage in Drupal that reflects the model? Looking at the first database created using MySQL it really is a whole new venture. It forces you to take a completely fresh look at what you want to do and why. One thing I want to do is to create an archive for the existing - rather dated - content and see where we are.

There's a Drupal UK group and things are happening in London (as I learned in February!) but there's no group in the NW of England. Although....a forum search revealed that someone last November was wondering about a NW England group and now we've made e-mail contact so something is in the offing...! So IF you should be local - Liverpool, Bolton, Preston, Wigan, Manchester.... Chris and I are wondering about meeting once a month - Friday night. More to follow...

Before I close and the comment spam also takes full hold: just to say I've switched comments off. If you wish please get in touch - you can email me h2cmng AT yahoo.co.uk


(Oh yeah - Apple! 3d star maps, BYTE mag, laptops.... We'll bite into that another time.)

The photo was taken from a taverna in Plaka after we had visited Spinalonga on the boat - the island in the distance.