Hodges' Model: Welcome to the QUAD: Book: "The Empty Space"

Hodges' model is a conceptual framework to support reflection and critical thinking. Situated, the model can help integrate all disciplines (academic and professional). Amid news items, are posts that illustrate the scope and application of the model. A bibliography and A4 template are provided in the sidebar. Welcome to the QUAD ...

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Book: "The Empty Space"

The Empty Space, Peter Brook

 In July I caught up with Mr Brian Hodges who created Hodges' model. Having met previously in November 2013 we agreed not to leave it as long next time and so I returned on 7th October.

One question I had was whether in addition to Hughes there were any other influences that led Brian to the model overall?

Brian could not recall a specific reference, but mentioned the theatre being an influence. I, in turn had picked up a second-hand book on one of several recent trips to London, but the title evaded me. Once home I checked and the book is "The Empty Space" by Peter Brook. A Gower Street bargain at £4.99. Brian also checked and emailed to confirm this is the book on his shelf too.

While in London (and elsewhere) I try to visit the theatre and  now look for performances of Ibsen's plays. Whatever I do see, A Doll's House this month, before the performance starts the set design is always intriguing. I've posted on this before, Hodges' model providing a 'stage set', one that should the play require can include the operating theatre.

As a mental health nurse the themes of Ibsen's plays still resonate today. From the performances I have attended the public finds ongoing relevance in: The Master Builder, Ghosts, The Lady from the Sea, Rosmersholm, Hedda Gabler and An Enemy of the People. This is true of the work by others. The drama of life and death that Hodges' model can also stage.

Brian emailed me about a situation that stood out for him in the book, so I will revisit this. What caught my eye is the cover of Brook's book (and yes, the graphic first). Without even opening the book, the 'scene' is (possibly?) set on the book's cover "A Book About the Theatre: Deadly, Holy, Rough, Immediate" ...


 individual
|
INTERPERSONAL : SCIENCES
humanistic ----------------------------------------------- mechanistic
SOCIOLOGY : POLITICAL
|
group - population

Holy


Immediate

Rough

Deadly




Hughes, E. (1958) Men and their work. New York: Free Press. (Hughes was used by Brian to define ‘health career’ the idea of life chances.)